TOP THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW FOR AUGUST 20
BlueGreen Partners United. The members of the BlueGreen Alliance are united behind the importance of the Production Tax Credit for wind energy. Make sure to take a minute to read the editorials in the Toledo Blade and St. Louis Post Dispatch from Dave Foster (Executive Director of the BlueGreen Alliance) and John Hickey (Chapter Director of the Missouri Sierra Club) about this importance measure.
China Eyeing 100 GW. While the American wind energy industry just celebrated reaching 50 gigawatts of installed wind capacity, China plans to have 100 gigawatts of wind energy linked to its grid by 2015 and 200 gigawatts by 2020.
ISSUE IN-DEPTH: PRODUCTION TAX CREDIT
Some issues are just too big for a one- or two-line mention in The Source. The latest of these is the Production Tax Credit for wind energy and the opportunity Congress has to help this vital industry when it goes back into session in September.
Media coverage, columns and letters to the editor about the Production Tax Credit for wind energy from over the weekend include:
- Bloomberg Businessweek: Energy Week Ahead: Vestas May Offer Plan for Colorado Job Cuts
- Huffington Post: Wind Energy Industry Group Warns Of Slowdown Despite Clean Energy Job Growth
- KCET (CA): California Finally Beats Texas for Wind Installations in 2011
- Pagosa Daily Post (CO): Wind Power Layoffs Disconcerting
- Iowa City Press Citizen (IA): Our View: Wind tax credit good investment for nation
- Rockford Register Star (IL): Wind farm development in Illinois, elsewhere likely to slow in 2013
- Hutchinson News (KS): Future of tax credit on mind of Siemens plant
- Boston Herald (MA): Good energy sense
- Buffalo News (NY): For many reasons, Congress should extend tax credit
- Cincinnati Enquirer (OH): Tax credit benefits business
- KTVZ (OR): Oregon, U.S. could lose wind power jobs
National and International Blue-Green
According to the Associated Press, 44 states saw increases in unemployment in July.
USA Today looks at how states on the Atlantic Coast are preparing for climate change's rising sea levels.
The Harvard Gazette reports butterflies may be heading north because of climate change.
To the States
The Star Tribune talks to staff at the Port of Duluth about Minnesota’s role in the transportation of wind turbine parts.
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid writes about the “truth about clean energy in Nevada” in the Las Vegas Review-Journal.
CleanTechnica says New York’s Governor last week signed three bills encouraging the development of solar PV projects in the state.
Colorado is going “crazy for solar gardens,” according to EarthTechling.
Bloomberg Businessweek: Ranchers lose hope drought aid will come in time
USA Today: Column: Detroit owes us better mileage
Detroit Free Press: Ford wants uniform automaking at global plants
New York Times: The Cost of Cool
Chicago Tribune: U.S.-backed battery-makers fall to foreign competitors
National Journal: Sizing Up Romney and Obama Energy Plans
Boston Globe (MA): New England Aquarium will lead $5.5 million climate change effort
Baltimore Sun (MD): Climate change belongs in school curriculum
Star Tribune (MN): U-Morris is in spotlight for clean energy
New York Times (NY): Bike Share Delayed Until Spring, Mayor Says
Bucks County Courier Times (PA): Bristol schools go green