The BlueGreen Alliance (BGA) seeks qualified candidates for the position of Executive and Legislative Assistant.
BGA was formed in 2006 by the United Steelworkers and the Sierra Club in recognition that the future of working people and the health of the environment are inextricably linked. Now, together with 13 of the nation’s largest labor unions and most influential environmental organizations, we are fighting to protect the planet and advance racial and economic justice. The labor unions and environmental organizations of the BlueGreen Alliance reject the false choice that we must choose between good jobs and a clean environment. We are a powerful and unified voice for building an American economy that addresses climate change, protects the health of people and the environment, and drives a thriving, fair, and equitable economy.
BGA builds a shared agenda between the labor and environmental movements on bold measures critical to advancing a future American economy that addresses climate change, protects public health, advances racial and economic justice, and creates good-paying union jobs in safe and healthy workplaces in communities across America. BGA develops policy, produces research, builds coalitions, provides education, advocates these policies at the local, state and federal level, and mobilizes working people to take action.
Job Summary: BGA is seeking an Executive and Legislative Assistant in our Washington, D.C. office, to provide support for the Executive Director, and in the implementation of key legislative strategies on climate change, safe chemicals, clean infrastructure, international trade, and other issues. BGA is seeking an enthusiastic professional with a positive attitude and fresh perspective.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Executive Assistant Responsibilities:
- Schedules and manages ED’s calendar including making travel arrangements;
- Provides administrative support for ED;
- Provides administrative assistance to other Executive staff, as assigned, including scheduling and travel arrangements;
- Provides information to and prepares Executive Director and Executive Staff, as assigned, for upcoming commitments and responsibilities, including briefing staff on details, compiling briefing materials, presentations, and following up as necessary;
- Assists the Executive Director with governance responsibilities, including scheduling board and steering committee meetings, note taking, and other tasks, as assigned;
- Plans, arranges and prepares materials and refreshments for meetings, setting up and cleaning up, and taking minutes when needed;
- Executes special projects as requested, and perform other duties as assigned.
Legislation, Policy, and Communications Responsibilities:
- Support the legislation and policy team in the development of talking points, fact sheets and backgrounders on key BGA issues;
- Support the legislation and policy team by attending and reporting back on coalition meetings and assisting with lobbying activities, including scheduling and tracking meetings and producing background materials;
- Support the legislation and policy team by drafting materials, including letters, blogs, and hill blasts.
Office Management and Administrative Responsibilities:
- Provide administrative support for D.C. office and staff;
- Maintains D.C. office by organizing office operations , including managing supplies, office equipment, mailing, and shipping;
- Coordinating with IT support on all office equipment;
- Assisting in onboarding of new staff;
- Provide general support to visitors;
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree required, as well as experience or interest in legislation, policy, or related profession;
- Ideal candidate is prepared for or has experience working in a fast-paced environment, including experience working on an electoral or issue campaign;
- Some familiarity, interest, or previous experience working with labor unions and environmental organizations preferred, along with a familiarity of clean economy issues including climate change, energy, and/or workers’ rights;
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously, possess strong time management and project management skills;
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, strong interpersonal skills, the ability to collaborate with other staff and partners Strong commitment to economic, racial and environmental justice; and
- A deep commitment to and enthusiasm for the work of the BlueGreen Alliance.
Additional Information: This is an entry level position, salary range $45,000-$55,000, generous benefits package that includes medical and dental, 401k with company match, generous vacation and holidays, and a friendly work environment. The BlueGreen Alliance is working virtually during the pandemic.
How to Apply: Please submit a cover letter, resume, writing sample and three references by January 31, 2021 to Jennifer Bakkom‐Gatzke (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please include “Executive and Legislative Assistant” in the subject line and include where you saw the posting.
Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
BlueGreen Alliance does not discriminate against individuals on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity, or veteran status in the administration of employment policies, or in any other programs and activities.