The BlueGreen Alliance (BGA) seeks qualified candidates for the position of Executive and Legislative Assistant.
BGA unites fourteen of America’s largest and most influential labor unions and environmental organizations to identify ways that today’s environmental challenges can create and maintain quality jobs and build a stronger, fairer economy.
The organization’s efforts center on the immediate need to develop commonsense solutions to our environmental challenges in a way that creates and maintains quality, family-sustaining jobs across the economy. Our staff and supporters design public policies, perform research, and run public education and advocacy campaigns to advocate for practical solutions; facilitate dialogue between environmentalists, union members and other stakeholders; and educate America’s labor union members and environmentalists about the economic and environmental impacts of climate change and the job-creating opportunities of environmental protections.
Job Summary: BGA is seeking an Executive and Legislative Assistant in our Washington, D.C. office, to provide support for the Executive Director, and in the implementation of key legislative strategies on climate change, safe chemicals, clean infrastructure, international trade, and other issues. BGA is seeking an enthusiastic professional with a positive attitude and fresh perspective.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Executive Assistant Responsibilities:
- Schedules and manages ED’s calendar including making travel arrangements;
- Provides administrative support for ED;
- Provides administrative assistance to other Executive staff, as assigned, including scheduling and travel arrangements;
- Provides information to and prepares Executive Director and Executive Staff, as assigned, for upcoming commitments and responsibilities, including briefing staff on details, compiling briefing materials, presentations, and following up as necessary;
- Assist the Executive Director with governance responsibilities, including scheduling board and steering committee meetings, note taking, and other tasks, as assigned;
- Plans, arranges and prepares materials and refreshments for meetings, setting up and cleaning up, and taking minutes when needed;
- Executes special projects as requested, and perform other duties as assigned.
Legislation, Policy, and Communications Responsibilities:
- Support the legislation and policy team in the development of talking points, fact sheets and backgrounders on key BGA issues;
- Support the legislation and policy team by attending and reporting back on coalition meetings and assisting with lobbying activities, including scheduling and tracking meetings and producing background materials;
- Support the legislation and policy team by drafting materials, including letters, blogs, and hill blasts.
Office Management and Administrative Responsibilities:
- Provide administrative support for D.C. office and staff;
- Maintains D.C. office by organizing office operations , including managing supplies, office equipment, mailing, and shipping;
- Coordinating with IT support on all office equipment;
- Assisting in onboarding of new staff;
- Provide general support to visitors;
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree required, as well as experience or interest in legislation, policy, or related profession;
- Ideal candidate is prepared for or has experience working in a fast-paced environment, including experience working on an electoral or issue campaign;
- Some familiarity, interest, or previous experience working with labor unions and environmental organizations preferred, along with a familiarity of clean economy issues including climate change, energy, and/or workers’ rights;
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously, possess strong time management and project management skills; and
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, strong interpersonal skills, the ability to collaborate with other staff and partners, and a deep commitment to and enthusiasm for the work of the BlueGreen Alliance.
Additional Information: Entry level position, generous benefits package that includes medical and dental, 401k with company match, generous vacation and holidays, and a friendly work environment.
How to Apply: Please submit a cover letter, resume, writing sample and three references by December 31, 2019 to Jennifer Bakkom‐Gatzke (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please include “Executive and Legislative Assistant” in the subject line.
Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
BlueGreen Alliance does not discriminate against individuals on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual or affectional preference, marital status, gender identity, or veteran status in the administration of employment policies, or in any other programs and activities.