The BlueGreen Alliance (BGA) seeks qualified candidates for the position of Nevada Policy Organizer based in Clark County, Nevada.
BGA was formed in 2006 by the United Steelworkers and the Sierra Club in recognition that the future of working people and the health of the environment are inextricably linked. Now, together with 13 of the nation’s largest labor unions and most influential environmental organizations, we are fighting to protect the planet and advance racial and economic justice. The labor unions and environmental organizations of the BlueGreen Alliance reject the false choice that we must choose between good jobs and a clean environment. BGA builds a shared agenda between the labor and environmental movements on bold measures critical to advancing a future American economy that addresses climate change, protects public health, advances racial and economic justice, and creates good-paying union jobs in safe and healthy workplaces in communities across America. BGA develops policy, produces research, builds coalitions, provides education, advocates these policies at the local, state and federal level, and mobilizes working people to take action.
Job Summary: BGA is seeking a dynamic full-time professional to join our team in Nevada as a Policy Organizer. The Organizer spearheads the program and policy work of the BlueGreen Alliance in Nevada. The Organizer identifies and works to implement projects around the state that will help build the clean energy economy, reduce emissions, create quality, family-sustaining jobs, and promote shared, sustainable prosperity programs.
This position will work closely with the Western States Director to build and carry out our legislative, regulatory, and campaign advocacy work in Nevada. The organizer will work in coalition with our partners and other BGA staff/departments. The NV Policy Organizer reports to the Western States Director and working closely with other BGA staff, the Nevada BGA Steering Committee members, and BGA partners.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Responsibilities include, but are not limited, to:
- Conduct outreach to labor and environmental organizations in order to build Nevada BGA membership and mutual understanding.
- Work to implement clean economy jobs advocacy priorities at the state level in collaboration with the Western States Director and Nevada steering committee.
- Identify state policy levers to promote the creation of quality jobs in the clean economy, including energy efficiency, transportation, manufacturing, responsible mining, procurement, and workforce standards.
- Coordinate research and outreach efforts to identify opportunities to invest in specific policies and projects and that accelerate job growth and community economic development.
- Work with the Western States Director, state-level BGA partners, and allies to help develop and implement a plan to advocate for agreed upon goals determined by the group. Tasks may include legislature and agency education, earned media, and social media activities.
- Educate partners, allies, and policymakers in the legislature and agencies on policies that create good jobs while addressing climate change issues.
- Work with BGA research, communications, and policy departments to conduct policy analysis, and produce talking points, blogs, fact sheets, social media, and other content.
- Provide some level of administrative support to our organizing and outreach efforts in Nevada (e.g. set up meetings, maintain contacts database, etc.).
- Other duties as needed.
Skills & Qualifications:
- At least 5-7 years of experience in policy development and engagement, with a background in issue campaigns preferred.
- Experience working with labor unions is required. Background on workforce issues is a plus.
- Experience with environmental or environmental justice organizations, or strong knowledge of their issues.
- Familiarity with clean energy, workforce concepts, climate change, and other environmental issues preferred; regulatory, legislative experience and/or issue-based advocacy campaigns is a plus.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build and maintain productive working relationships with organizations and business around the state.
- Familiarity with the political landscape of Nevada strongly preferred.
- A strong foundation in coordinating campaigns that involve multiple partners and stakeholders, including labor unions, environmental organizations and supportive businesses.
- Ability to juggle multiple issues and campaigns
- An ability to travel by car as needed.
- Strong commitment to economic, racial and environmental justice; and
- A deep commitment to the mission of the BlueGreen Alliance.
Additional Information: Salary range $60,000-$80,000; generous benefits package that includes medical and dental, 401k with company match, generous vacation and holidays, and a friendly work environment. This is a union represented position, represented by USW Local 2002.
How to Apply: Please submit a cover letter, resume, writing sample and three references to Jennifer Bakkom‐Gatzke (email@example.com). Please write “NV Policy Organizer” in the subject line, and include salary requirements and where you saw the posting. Position will be reviewed on a rolling basis and will remain open until filled.
Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
BlueGreen Alliance does not discriminate against individuals on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual or affectional preference, marital status, gender identity, or veteran status in the administration of employment policies, or in any other programs and activities.