The BlueGreen Alliance (BGA) seeks qualified candidates for the position of Outreach Specialist in our Building Clean Project.
BGA is a national partnership of America’s largest labor unions and most influential environmental organizations working to turn today’s biggest environmental challenges into our biggest economic and job-creating opportunities. Together with 15 million members and supporters, we are a powerful, unified voice calling for good, family-sustaining jobs, a clean environment, and a thriving and fair American economy.
Job Summary: The BlueGreen Alliance is seeking an Outreach Specialist in our Washington, D.C. office to promote the Building Clean program. The specialist would be responsible for promoting the BuildingClean.org website to various stakeholders interested in the site’s buy local, buy healthy features. The job encompasses skills in marketing and communications, including developing marketing plans and materials. The Outreach Specialist reports to the Director of Healthy Sustainability Programs and works closely with staff, as well as outside partner organizations, government agencies, and manufacturers to meet organizational goals.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Promote the BuildingClean.org website to various stakeholders interested in the site’s Buy Local, Buy Healthy features. This includes creating and managing contact lists, keeping detailed records of contact and stakeholder interests, and identifying potential audiences.
- Coordinate request for webinars and/or site visits. Provide, track, and document Building Clean material, such as e-newsletter articles or web buttons, used by stakeholder groups.
- Promote use of Building Clean’s website for product selection by conducting outreach to owners/developers and signing them up for training in how the site can be useful to fulfill locality and health product needs.
- Contact union diversity committees and diversity organizations to sign them up for presentation on environmental justice in affordable housing. Learn content matter, including health disparities, energy justice, workplace pathways and other issues, in order to conduct presentations, either in person or by webinar.
- Help develop materials for outreach, including benefits of local/healthy products, and other educational materials as needed for website, procurement, product selection program, environmental justice efforts, and other program initiatives as needed.
- Report weekly on all activities conducted in pursuit of program goals.
- Use the various technology platforms utilized by BGA including IVDesk, Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook (including Outlook calendars), and any future programs as required.
- Work closely with other staff on Building Clean, as needed. Exhibit a positive and respectful manner when collaborating with colleagues, partners and allies.
- Other duties as required.
Skills & Qualifications:
- At least 4-5 years of experience in the marketing or energy efficiency fields.
- Familiarity with the labor and environmental movements.
- Demonstrate interest in or familiarity with retrofits, affordable housing, energy efficiency products, toxics in building products, or other related topics.
- Personable, hard-working, and motivated individual with excellent oral and written communications skills, especially ease of communicating over the phone.
- Ability to perform well in a fast-paced environment, work independently and take initiative is necessary, as are strong computer skills.
- Willingness/ability to learn new subject matter rapidly and to demonstrate ability to explain to others.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and orientation to building collaborative structures.
- A deep commitment to the mission of the BlueGreen Alliance, and a positive attitude with creative thinking and problem solving skills desired.
Additional Information: Salary commensurate with experience; generous benefits package that includes medical and dental, 401k with company match, generous vacation and holidays, and a friendly work environment. Occasional travel is required.
How to Apply: Please submit a cover letter, resume, writing sample and three references by January 5, 2019, to Jennifer Bakkom‐Gatzke (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please include “Outreach Specialist” in the subject line.
Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
BlueGreen Alliance does not discriminate against individuals on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual or affectional preference, marital status, gender identity, or veteran status in the administration of employment policies, or in any other programs and activities.