The BlueGreen Alliance (BGA) seeks qualified candidates for the position of Policy Advisor, Clean Transportation in our Washington, D.C. office.
BGA unites America’s largest and most influential labor unions and environmental organizations to solve today’s environmental challenges in ways that create and maintain quality jobs and build a stronger, fairer economy.
The organization’s efforts center on the immediate need to develop equitable, commonsense solutions to our environmental challenges in ways that create and maintain quality, family-sustaining jobs across the economy. Our staff and supporters design public policies, perform research, and run public education and advocacy campaigns to advocate for practical solutions; facilitate dialogue between environmentalists, union members and other stakeholders; and educate America’s labor union members and environmentalists about the economic and environmental impacts of climate change and the job-creating opportunities of environmental protections.
Job Summary: BGA is seeking a dynamic professional to join our team as Policy Advisor. This position will be responsible for designing, coordinating, and implementing legislative and policy efforts around core organizational issues related to promoting clean vehicles and technology in ways that strengthen domestic manufacturing, jobs, and fair and equitable outcomes for workers and communities. The Policy Advisor will work in close coordination with BGA national staff and BGA partner organizations to develop and implement BGA’s policy, legislative, and regulatory agenda on clean vehicles and advanced transportation and related manufacturing, technology and labor topics. The Policy Advisor will report to the Director of Manufacturing and Advanced Transportation.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support and build legislative and policy development, analytical and advocacy efforts regarding BGA priority issues;
- Manage relationships and execute policy analysis, development and advocacy efforts across a spectrum of policymakers, coalitions, business and community groups;
- Advance BGA priorities with members of Congress and federal agencies, conducting education and outreach to key officials and regulators at the national level;
- Develop and review public messaging and materials, including letters, policy memos, technical comments, white papers, reports, presentations, press, online materials, and other materials as needed;
- Provide regular communications and updates on BGA initiatives to staff and partner organizations; and
- Other duties as required.
Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree required, master’s degree preferred, with 5 to 7 years of prior work experience in policy, advocacy, labor or business;
- Experience working on issues related to climate change, energy, transportation, manufacturing, technology policy, economics, economic or racial equity, and/or labor issues;
- Experience working either for Capitol Hill/federal agencies or closely with legislative and/or executive branch offices;
- Self‐starting, highly motivated, positive attitude, able to manage multiple tasks simultaneously, and preference for working in a fast‐paced environment;
- Ability to assist in the planning, coordinating, and implementing of federal legislative strategies that involve mobilizing a diverse coalition of organizations;
- Experience developing policy proposals, writing persuasive educational materials, lobbying legislators and staff, and mobilizing key constituents;
- Quick study on technology or economic topics, comfort working with analysts or researchers, and interpreting and utilizing modeling and data produced to support policy making;
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and orientation to building collaborative structures;
- Willingness and ability to live in the D.C. area and travel periodically;
- Strong commitment to economic, racial and environmental justice; and
- A deep commitment to the mission of the BlueGreen Alliance.
Additional Information: Salary range: $65,000-$80,000, generous benefits package that includes medical and dental, 401k with company match, generous vacation and holidays, and a friendly work environment.
The BlueGreen Alliance staff is working virtually during the pandemic and travel is not required until further notice.
How to Apply: Please submit a cover letter, resume, writing sample and three references to Jennifer Bakkom‐Gatzke (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please write “Policy Advisor – Clean Transportation” in the subject line. Position open until filled.
Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
The BlueGreen Alliance does not discriminate against individuals on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity, or veteran status in the administration of employment policies, or in any other programs and activities.