The BlueGreen Alliance (BGA) seeks qualified candidates for the position of Research Analyst in our Buy Clean program preferably based in our Minneapolis, MN or Washington, D.C. office.
BGA unites America’s largest labor unions and most influential environmental organizations to solve today’s environmental challenges in ways that create and maintain quality jobs and build a stronger, fairer economy.
The organization’s efforts center on the immediate need to develop commonsense solutions to our environmental challenges in a way that creates and maintains quality, family-sustaining jobs across the economy. Our staff and supporters design public policies, perform research, and run public education and advocacy campaigns to advocate for practical solutions; facilitate dialogue between environmentalists, union members and other stakeholders; and educate America’s labor union members and environmentalists about the economic and environmental impacts of climate change and the job-creating opportunities of environmental protections.
Job Summary: The Buy Clean Research Analyst works primarily on research for the Buy Clean initiative focusing on procurement. This position also works closely with the Research Team to help meet the other needs of BGA and BGAF initiatives and projects that have a research and data component. This position reports to the Research Director, working closely with other members of teams as needed. This is a one-year position with possibility to continue based on future project funding.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Policy research and analysis, specifically in areas of infrastructure, procurement, industrial processes and efficiency, decarbonization, and emissions reductions.
- Develop materials including letters, policy memos, briefs, white papers, reports, fact sheets, presentations, and other materials as needed.
- Collaborate and communicate effectively with BGA staff, partners, contractors, and consultants to help shape data collection to address policy questions.
- Validate and fact check data to ensure quality and evaluate sources used to obtain data.
- Develop and apply research methodology and identify necessary data sources.
- Work with supervisor to set and manage priorities.
- Work with external consultants on specific research projects, as assigned.
- Participate actively and positively on teams and working groups, leading and sharing information with other staff.
- Identify opportunities for professional development and ways to build your own capacity, increasing your knowledge of relevant issue areas.
- Exhibit a positive and respectful manner when collaborating with colleagues, partners and allies; and
- Other duties as required.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree.
- 3 – 5 years experience in policy research and/or analysis.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Process oriented, strong attention to detail, familiarity with testing and data quality.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, writing experience.
- Self-starting, highly motivated, able to follow directions, manage multiple tasks simultaneously, and see discrete projects through to completion.
- Ability to work collaboratively on a team, strong interpersonal skills.
- Willingness to continually learn new skills and tools, comfortable asking questions and collaboratively determining a good way to do a research project.
- Experience or familiarity with industrial, procurement, or decarbonization policy research and data sources in infrastructure or the following specific industries a plus: steel, cement/concrete, glass, forest products.
- A deep commitment to the mission of the BlueGreen Alliance and a positive attitude with creative thinking and problem solving skills desired.
Additional Information: Salary range $42,000 to $48,000; generous benefits package that includes medical and dental, 401k with company match, generous vacation and holidays, and a friendly work environment. This is a one year position.
How to Apply: Please submit a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and three references by March 13, 2020, to Jennifer Bakkom‐Gatzke (email@example.com). Please include “Analyst” in the subject line. Position open until filled.
Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
BlueGreen Alliance does not discriminate against individuals on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual or affectional preference, marital status, gender identity, or veteran status in the administration of employment policies, or in any other programs and activities.