The BlueGreen Alliance (BGA) seeks qualified candidates for the position of Research Assistant.
BGA unites America’s largest labor unions and most influential environmental organizations to solve today’s environmental challenges in ways that create and maintain quality jobs and build a stronger, fairer economy.
The organization’s efforts center on the immediate need to develop commonsense solutions to our environmental challenges in a way that creates and maintains quality, family-sustaining jobs across the economy. Our staff and supporters design public policies, perform research, and run public education and advocacy campaigns to advocate for practical solutions; facilitate dialogue between environmentalists, union members and other stakeholders; and educate America’s labor union members and environmentalists about the economic and environmental impacts of climate change and the job-creating opportunities of environmental protections.
Job Summary: BGA is seeking a Research Assistant to join our Research Team, which supports programs and initiatives with research, analysis, and data. The Research Assistant should expect to build expertise in our content areas and with our data sets, connect our research efforts to organizational priorities and goals, and communicate findings and results clearly to staff, partners, and the public. This position reports to the Research Director and works collaboratively with program and communications staff.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Contribute to and be a respectful member of a high performing, collaborative Research Team
- Conduct research on companies that supply parts, technology, and materials to the automotive, transit, and energy efficient building product supply chains nationwide. For example, see buildingclean.org or Supplying Ingenuity II at http://bit.ly/2thxcd4.
- Conduct analysis and generate data visualizations including GIS maps, charts, diagrams, and graphs for internal and external use.
- Conduct research that supports racial and environmental justice and equity policy work.
- Conduct quality checks on data and follow established processes to update data as required, and keep useful documentation on processes and data sources.
- Undertake pieces of independent research in line with program objectives, communicate research clearly verbally and in writing, and assist projects and initiatives with additional research and analysis as needed.
- Work collaboratively with BGA and BGAF staff and contractors to help shape data collection and database design to meet user needs and to address manufacturing policy questions.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Self-starting, highly motivated, able to see discrete projects through to completion.
- Highly adaptable and flexible and able to prioritize work and switch between tasks/manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability and interest to learn new content areas and skills.
- Team player.
- Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience with Microsoft Excel and Microsoft office.
- Commitment to the mission of the BlueGreen Alliance.
- Strong commitment to economic, racial and environmental justice.
Preferred Content Expertise:
- Data skills or experience including GIS mapping, statistics, economic/jobs analysis, databases, or data visualization. Familiarity with QGIS, R, Drupal, or data visualization software a plus.
- Experience or familiarity with manufacturing and supply chain research and data sources.
- Familiarity with automotive, transit, rail, and/or building efficiency components.
- Familiarity with policy analysis.
Additional Information: Salary range: $35,000-$45,000, generous benefits package that includes medical and dental, 401k with company match, generous vacation and holidays, and a friendly work environment.
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the BGA offices are closed at this time and the majority of our staff are working remotely, as will this position. The Research Team is based in Minneapolis, but other locations will be considered.
How to Apply: Please submit a cover letter, resume, and three references to Jennifer Bakkom‐Gatzke (email@example.com). Position is open until filled, with applications starting to be reviewed on August 1, 2020. Please write “Research Assistant” in the subject line.
Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
BlueGreen Alliance does not discriminate against individuals on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual or affectional preference, marital status, gender identity, or veteran status in the administration of employment policies, or in any other programs and activities. We are dedicated to providing and maintaining an inclusive work environment free from discrimination and harassment, where employees are treated with respect and dignity.