The BlueGreen Alliance (BGA) seeks qualified candidates for the position of State Initiatives Manager (SIM) in our Building Clean and Buy Clean Projects.
BGA is a national partnership of America’s largest labor unions and most influential environmental organizations working to turn today’s biggest environmental challenges into our biggest economic and job-creating opportunities. Together with 15 million members and supporters, we are a powerful, unified voice calling for good, family-sustaining jobs, a clean environment, and a thriving and fair American economy.
Job Summary: BGA is seeking a State Initiatives Manager (SIM) based in the Midwest. The SIM develops and leads a policy development and implementation plan for the Building Clean and Buy Clean programs, including identifying and working with a team of professionals to advance state-level policy opportunities for Building Clean and Buy Clean in targeted states. In addition, the SIM is charged with identifying and pursuing strategies to integrate Buy Local and Buy Healthy in energy efficiency retrofits of multi-family housing, as well as working to coordinate, align, and advance various organizations’ procurement efforts. The State Initiatives Manager also will work to identify and pursue strategies related to state and local procurement of clean infrastructure materials. The State Initiatives Manager reports to the Director of Healthy Sustainability Programs and works closely with the Deputy Director and other staff, as well as outside partner organizations, government agencies, and coalitions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Developing and working to implement a state-by-state plan to identify, analyze and, move policy on the state level to create good jobs and reduce carbon emissions. In particular, such a plan will:
- Lead the organization’s policy development regarding the Building Clean initiative and Buy Clean initiative; and
- Identify and monitor utility, housing authority, affordable housing and other construction developers/owners, and legislative policy opportunities and help to craft a plan to move policies on the state/municipal level.
- Working closely with the Building Clean team and Buy Clean team, build a deeper understanding of the organization’s policy strategy plan, including communicating possible opportunities for coordination between teams.
- Working closely with the D.C.-based Research and Policy Analyst and Minneapolis-based Research Team to analyze and develop policy initiatives around Building Clean and Buy Clean and in identifying, aligning, and coordinating BGA’s procurement work.
- Becoming a content-matter specialist in the program areas in order to conduct policy analysis, and produce content, including talking points, blogs, policy position papers, and social media content.
- Communicating as needed/appropriate with Legislation, Communications, Organizing, West Coast and Policy Department colleagues to make connections between program area content and objectives.
- Other duties as required.
Skills & Qualifications:
- 7-10 years of experience in policy development and engagement, with a background in issue and/or electoral campaigns preferred.
- Familiarity and/or experience working with labor unions and the environmental movement.
- Deep familiarity with clean energy, climate change, utility regulatory process and energy efficiency programs and other related issues preferred.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and preference for working in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to travel to multiple states and Washington, D.C.
- Self-starter with excellent interpersonal skills and strong orientation to building collaborative structures.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- A deep commitment to the mission of the BlueGreen Alliance, and a positive attitude with creative thinking and problem solving skills desired.
Additional Information: Salary commensurate with experience; generous benefits package that includes medical and dental, 401k with company match, generous vacation and holidays, and a friendly work environment. Occasional travel is required.
How to Apply: Please submit a cover letter, resume, writing sample and three references by January 11, 2019, to Jennifer Bakkom‐Gatzke (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please include “State Initiatives Manager” in the subject line.
Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
BlueGreen Alliance does not discriminate against individuals on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual or affectional preference, marital status, gender identity, or veteran status in the administration of employment policies, or in any other programs and activities.