The BlueGreen Alliance (BGA) seeks qualified candidates for the position of Policy Advisor in our Washington, D.C. office.
BGA unites America’s largest labor unions and its most influential environmental organizations to identify ways that today’s environmental challenges can create and maintain quality jobs and build a stronger, fairer economy.
The organization’s efforts center on the immediate need to develop commonsense solutions to our environmental challenges in a way that creates and maintains quality, family-sustaining jobs across the economy. Our staff and supporters design public policies, perform research, and run public education and advocacy campaigns to advocate for practical solutions; facilitate dialogue between environmentalists, union members and other stakeholders; and educate America’s labor union members and environmentalists about the economic and environmental impacts of climate change and the job-creating opportunities of environmental protections.
Job Summary: BGA is seeking a dynamic professional to join our team as Policy Advisor. This position will be responsible for designing, coordinating and implementing policy and partnership efforts for core organizational issues. The Policy Advisor will work in close coordination with BGA national and state staff and BGA partner organizations to develop and implement BGA’s policy and legislative agenda on a variety of issues, including procurement, trade, and other BGA priorities. The Advisor will report to the Executive Vice President.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Responsibilities include, but are not limited, to:
- Support and build policy development and advocacy efforts and campaigns regarding procurement and trade initiatives, guiding internal staff efforts in addition to convening representatives from BGA’s labor unions and environmental groups;
- Manage relationships and execute policy development and advocacy efforts across a spectrum of policymakers, coalitions, business and community groups;
- Advance BGA priorities among Congress and the Administration, conducting education and outreach to key officials and regulators at the national and state level;
- Identify and seek new program opportunities, including proposal development, meeting with potential funders, and evaluating program progress;
- Develop and review public messaging and materials, to include white papers, reports, presentations, press and online materials;
- Ensure regular communications and updates on BGA initiatives among staff and partner organizations; and
- Other duties as required.
Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor degree required, masters degree preferred, with two or more years of prior work experience in policy, advocacy, or business. Experience/knowledge regarding trade, climate change, energy, and/or labor issues is a plus. The individual should also have high competency in the following areas:
- Experience working either directly for Capitol Hill/federal agencies or closely with legislative and/or executive branch offices;
- Self‐starting, highly motivated, positive attitude, able to manage multiple tasks simultaneously, and preference for working in a fast‐paced environment;
- Ability to assist in the planning, coordinating, and implementing of federal legislative strategies that involve mobilizing a diverse coalition of organizations; and
- Experience developing policy proposals, writing persuasive educational materials, lobbying legislators and staff, and mobilizing voters and key constituents.
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and orientation to building collaborative structures;
- Willingness and ability to live in the D.C. area and travel periodically; and
- A deep commitment to the mission of the BlueGreen Alliance.
Additional Information: Salary commensurate with experience; generous benefits package that includes medical and dental, 401k with company match, generous vacation and holidays, and a friendly work environment.
How to Apply: Please submit a cover letter, resume, writing sample and three references
to Jennifer Bakkom‐Gatzke (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please write
“Policy Advisor” in the subject line. Position open until filled.
Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
BlueGreen Alliance does not discriminate against individuals on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual or affectional preference, marital status, gender identity, or veteran status in the administration of employment policies, or in any other programs and activities.