The BlueGreen Alliance (BGA) seeks qualified candidates for the position of Associate Policy Advisor in our Washington, D.C. office.
BGA was formed in 2006 by the United Steelworkers and the Sierra Club in recognition that the future of working people and the health of the environment are inextricably linked. Now, together with 13 of the nation’s largest labor unions and environmental organizations, we are fighting to protect the planet and advance racial and economic justice. The labor unions and environmental organizations of the BlueGreen Alliance reject the false choice that we must choose between good jobs and a clean environment. BGA builds a shared agenda between the labor and environmental movements on bold measures critical to advancing a future American economy that addresses climate change, protects public health, advances racial and economic justice, and creates good-paying union jobs in safe and healthy workplaces in communities across America. BGA develops policy, produces research, builds coalitions, provides education, advocates these policies at the local, state and federal level, and mobilizes working people to take action.
Job Summary: BGA is seeking an Associate Policy Advisor in our Washington, D.C. office, to provide support for the legislative team, and in the implementation of key legislative strategies on climate change, resilience, social and natural infrastructure, methane, and other issues. This position will help to design, coordinate, and implement legislative and policy efforts around these issues, working in close coordination with BGA national staff and partner organizations. The Associate Policy Advisor will report to the Legislative Director.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead, in coordination and collaboration with the Legislative Director, policy development and advocacy efforts for BGA priority issues related to social and natural infrastructure, methane, and resilience policy;
- Manage relationships and execute policy development and advocacy efforts across a spectrum of policymakers, coalitions, businesses and community groups;
- Advance BGA priorities with members of Congress and federal agencies, conducting education and outreach to officials and regulators at the national level;
- Develop and review public messaging and materials, including letters, policy memos, technical comments, white papers, reports, presentations, press, online materials, and other materials as needed;
- Provide regular communications and updates on BGA initiatives to staff and partner organizations.
- Other duties as required.
Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree required, with 2 to 3 years of work experience in policy, advocacy, labor or business.
- Experience/knowledge regarding climate change, energy, infrastructure, and/or labor issues is a plus.
- Experience working either directly for a Member of Congress, relevant federal agency or closely with legislative and/or executive branch offices;
- Self‐starting, highly motivated, positive attitude, able to manage multiple tasks simultaneously, and preference for working in a fast‐paced environment;
- Ability to assist in the planning, coordinating, and implementing of federal legislative strategies that involve mobilizing a diverse coalition of organizations;
- Experience developing policy proposals, writing persuasive educational materials, lobbying legislators and staff, and mobilizing key constituents;
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and orientation to building collaborative structures;
- Strong commitment to economic, racial, and environmental justice; and
- A deep commitment to the mission of the BlueGreen Alliance.
Additional Information: Salary range $50,000 to $70,000; generous benefits package that includes medical and dental, 401k with company match, generous vacation and holidays, and a friendly work environment. The D.C. staff will be working a hybrid work schedule. This is a union represented position, represented by USW Local 2002.
How to Apply: Please submit a cover letter, resume, writing sample and three references to Jennifer Bakkom‐Gatzke (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please include your location, salary requirements, and where you saw the posting and include “Associate Policy Advisor” in the subject line. Position open until filled.
Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
BlueGreen Alliance does not discriminate against individuals on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity, or veteran status in the administration of employment policies, or in any other programs and activities.