The BlueGreen Alliance (BGA) seeks qualified candidates for the position of Development Associate in our Minneapolis, MN office.
BGA was formed in 2006 by the United Steelworkers and the Sierra Club in recognition that the future of working people and the health of the environment are inextricably linked. Now, together with 12 of the nation’s largest labor unions and most influential environmental organizations, we are fighting to protect the planet and advance racial and economic justice. The labor unions and environmental organizations of the BlueGreen Alliance reject the false choice that we must choose between good jobs and a clean environment. We are a powerful and unified voice for building an American economy that addresses climate change, protects the health of people and the environment, and drives a thriving, fair, and equitable economy.
BGA builds a shared agenda between the labor and environmental movements on bold measures critical to advancing a future American economy that addresses climate change, protects public health, advances racial and economic justice, and creates good-paying union jobs in safe and healthy workplaces in communities across America. BGA develops policy, produces research, builds coalitions, provides education, advocates these policies at the local, state and federal level, and mobilizes working people to take action.
Job Summary: The Development Associate, based in Minneapolis, Minnesota, plays an essential role as the person responsible for managing a sophisticated database, which tracks relationships, grants, deadlines, and more. The Development Associate also plays an important role in funder and donor identification, cultivation, and stewardship. The Development Associate reports to the Development Director and works closely with the Development Manager. The Development Associate also works with the Administration and Communications teams.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Manage moves management and grants database:
- Manage BGA’s fundraising database, Salesforce, by entering and maintaining:
- Next steps BGA needs to take with existing and potential funders
- Grant proposal and report deadlines
- Grant and contribution information
- Key funder and donor contact information
- Utilize Salesforce to create biweekly and annual dashboards and other analytics;
- Integrate the data and functionality of Salesforce with our communications database, Every Action;
- Lead an upcoming transition to Salesforce Lightning;
- Maximize the potential of Salesforce to support BGA’s fundraising efforts.
Assist in funder and donor identification, cultivation, and stewardship:
- Edit, package, and submit letters of inquiry, grant proposals, and grant reports, paying close attention to detail;
- Work with the Development Director and Development Manager to ensure timely responses to fundraising deadlines;
- Research and identify foundation and individual donor prospects;
- Produce and maintain organizational support documents for grant application and reporting materials;
- Ensure grants and gifts are acknowledged in a timely manner;
- Regularly refresh acknowledgments and stewardship pieces.
- Support event registration and sponsorships as needed;
- Provide assistance to the team and conduct other assignments as needed.
Skills & Qualifications:
- Minimum of two years’ experience working in fundraising or nonprofit development, or comparable education or experience in another field;
- Knowledge of and experience working on labor or environmental issues preferred;
- Understanding of how essential accurate, timely, and rich information is to good decisions and successful fundraising outcomes;
- Working knowledge of fundraising or similar databases, experience with Salesforce preferred;
- Knowledge of 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) fundraising a plus;
- Excellent attention to detail;
- Organized self-starter with excellent time management skills;
- Ability to work as part of a team and with staff in different locations across several time zones;
- Patient and persistent with a positive attitude;
- Strong commitment to economic, racial, and environmental justice; and
- A deep commitment to the mission of the BlueGreen Alliance.
Additional Information: Salary range $45,000 – $65,000 depending on experience; generous benefits package that includes medical and dental, 401k with company match, generous vacation and holidays, and a friendly work environment. The BlueGreen Alliance staff is working virtually during the pandemic and is not requiring travel until further notice.
How to Apply: Please submit a cover letter, resume, writing sample and three references to Jennifer Bakkom‐Gatzke (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please include your salary requirements, and where you saw the posting. Please write “Development Associate” in the subject line of your email. Position open until filled.
Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
BlueGreen Alliance does not discriminate against individuals on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity, or veteran status in the administration of employment policies, or in any other programs and activities.