The BlueGreen Alliance (BGA) seeks qualified candidates for the position of Development Manager in our Minneapolis, MN office.
BGA was formed in 2006 by the United Steelworkers and the Sierra Club in recognition that the future of working people and the health of the environment are inextricably linked. Now, together with 13 of the nation’s largest labor unions and environmental organizations, we are fighting to protect the planet and advance racial and economic justice. The labor unions and environmental organizations of the BlueGreen Alliance reject the false choice that we must choose between good jobs and a clean environment. BGA builds a shared agenda between the labor and environmental movements on bold measures critical to advancing a future American economy that addresses climate change, protects public health, advances racial and economic justice, and creates good-paying union jobs in safe and healthy workplaces in communities across America. BGA develops policy, produces research, builds coalitions, provides education, advocates these policies at the local, state and federal level, and mobilizes working people to take action.
Job Summary: The Development Manager plays an essential role as the person responsible for driving BGA’s fundraising in states across the country. This position plays an important role in funder and donor identification, cultivation, and stewardship. The Development Manager maintains and manages Salesforce, a sophisticated database, which tracks relationships, grants, deadlines, and more. The Development Manager reports to the Development Director and works closely with the Senior Development Manager. This individual also works with the Finance, Administration, and Communications teams as well as state program staff.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Driving Fundraising in States:
- Drive internal coordination among BGA staff to develop and execute state-specific fundraising plans in the roughly 17 states in which we work;
- Identify funder and donor prospects in each state;
- Support state staff as they fundraise in their states;
- Shepard proposals and reports for grants supporting BGA’s state work;
- Develop materials independently or in coordination with BGA’s communications teams to support state fundraising;
Manage moves management and grants database:
- Manage BGA’s fundraising database, Salesforce, by entering and maintaining:
- Next steps BGA needs to take with existing and potential funders
- Grant proposal and report deadlines
- Grant and contribution information
- Key funder and donor contact information
- Utilize Salesforce to create biweekly and annual dashboards and other analytics;
- Integrate the data and functionality of Salesforce with our communications database, Every Action;
- Maximize the potential of Salesforce to support BGA’s fundraising efforts.
Assist in funder and donor identification, cultivation, and stewardship:
- Edit, package, and submit letters of inquiry, grant proposals, and grant reports, paying close attention to detail;
- Work with the Development Director and Senior Development Manager to ensure timely responses to fundraising deadlines;
- Research and identify foundation and individual donor prospects;
- Produce and maintain organizational support documents for grant application and reporting materials;
- Ensure grants and gifts are acknowledged in a timely manner;
- Regularly refresh acknowledgments and stewardship pieces.
- Support event registration and sponsorships as needed;
- Provide assistance to the team and conduct other assignments as needed.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Minimum of three years’ experience working in fundraising or nonprofit development, or comparable education or experience in another field;
- Knowledge of and experience working on labor or environmental issues preferred;
- Experience executing fundraising plans;
- Knowledge of 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) fundraising a plus;
- Organized self-starter with excellent time management skills;
- Understanding of how essential accurate, timely, and rich information is to good decisions and successful fundraising outcomes;
- Working knowledge of fundraising or similar databases, experience with Salesforce preferred;
- Excellent attention to detail;
- Ability to work as part of a team and with staff in different locations across several time zones;
- Patient and persistent with a positive attitude;
- Strong commitment to economic, racial, and environmental justice; and
- A deep commitment to the mission of the BlueGreen Alliance.
Additional Information: Salary range $55,000 to $75,000; generous benefits package that includes medical and dental, 401k with company match, generous vacation and holidays, and a friendly work environment. This is a Minneapolis office position. Minneapolis staff are currently working a hybrid work schedule. This is a union represented position, represented by USW Local 2002.
How to Apply: Please submit a cover letter, resume, writing sample and three references to Jennifer Bakkom‐Gatzke (email@example.com). Please include your location, salary requirements, and where you saw the posting and include “Development Manager” in the subject line. Position open until filled.
Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
BlueGreen Alliance does not discriminate against individuals on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity, or veteran status in the administration of employment policies, or in any other programs and activities.