The BlueGreen Alliance (BGA) and BlueGreen Alliance Foundation (BGAF) seek qualified candidates for the position of Finance Manager of BGA and BGAF in our Minneapolis, MN office.
BGA was formed in 2006 by the United Steelworkers and the Sierra Club in recognition that the future of working people and the health of the environment are inextricably linked. Now, together with 13 of the nation’s largest labor unions and most influential environmental organizations, we are fighting to protect the planet and advance racial and economic justice. The labor unions and environmental organizations of the BlueGreen Alliance reject the false choice that we must choose between good jobs and a clean environment. BGA builds a shared agenda between the labor and environmental movements on bold measures critical to advancing a future American economy that addresses climate change, protects public health, advances racial and economic justice, and creates good-paying union jobs in safe and healthy workplaces in communities across America. BGA develops policy, produces research, builds coalitions, provides education, advocates these policies at the local, state and federal level, and mobilizes working people to take action. The BlueGreen Alliance Foundation conducts research and educates the public about solutions to environmental challenges that create economic opportunities for the American people.
Job Summary: BGA/F is seeking a smart individual to fill the new position of Finance Manager, overseeing the effective management of accounting, reporting, and compliance. This position will be a hands-on and participative manager who will supervise the Finance Associate, and report to and support the VP of Finance and Administration. This position has oversight over grants accounting, post-award administration, financial accounting and audit preparedness. This individual will ensure BGA/F’s compliance with GAAP, grant/contract standards and guidelines, as well as other reporting. This position will develop a deep understanding of the organizations, operations, programs and initiatives. The Finance Manager works with staff, vendors and service providers, auditors, and government funders.
Oversee the day-to-day financial operations activities for BGA and BGAF including but not limited to:
- Supervise Finance Associate, overseeing AP, AR, GJ entries, Balance Sheet account reconciliation, payroll and salary allocations, payroll changes, record keeping and retention;
- Oversee multiple state payroll processing and benefit accounting including the annual benefits renewal process, ensuring that payroll processing is accurate and timely;
- Manage financial accounting systems;
- Ensure that accounting policies, procedures, controls, and processes are updated, and followed in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles and excellent accounting practices;
- Working closely with Office Manager, manage vendor relationships and service contracts, ensuring compliance with any procurement requirements;
Compliance Requirements, Reporting, and Audits
- Lead the annual audit preparation;
- Oversee 401k audits, workers compensation audits, or other audits or monitoring;
- Lead and maintain compliance with all federal, state, local and private reporting and registration requirements, including federal and state information tax returns, federal and state payroll tax returns, federal and state lobbying reporting, electoral reporting, and other returns or registrations pertaining to charitable organizations and solicitations;
Grants, Donations, Contract income
- Support Development Program staff and the VP of F&A in producing internal and external financial reporting for assigned grants and programs;
- Oversee financial administration of government and state grant and contract awards. Participate in the planning and development of budgets and work plans, working closely with Development team and Program Directors. Complete and review requirements and forms, ensuring accuracy and compliance. Submit reports and invoices, ensuring timely receipt of funds;
- Monitor and oversee contract invoicing, working with program staff as needed to ensure shared understanding of contracts and deadlines;
- Support VP of F&A in the development of organization and program budgets, projections, and financial reporting;
- Keep the VP of F&A aware of status of workflow and any ongoing concerns;
- Serve as back-up for accounting staff functions;
- Lead Finance Team and actively participate on other team or committee assignments;
- Perform other related duties as assigned by the VP of F&A.
Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree, accounting or finance a plus, or 5+ years of nonprofit finance work experience with organizational leadership role;
- 5+ years of progressive experience in accounting, finance, and operations; nonprofit finance experience required, with knowledge or interest in 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) organizations;
- Demonstrated experience in financial leadership capacity, managing staff, financial oversight and reporting, budget development, compliance with grants, contracts, and legal compliance;
- Ability to adapt to an evolving environment and thrive in a deadline-oriented environment;
- Detail-oriented, ability to meet deadlines, plan efficiently, and manage competing priorities;
- High ethical standards, sound judgement, and ability to maintain confidentiality;
- Ability to collaborate and communicate effectively with staff at all levels across the organization, including strong writing and verbal communication skills;
- Ability to use the various technology platforms utilized by BGA including Quickbooks, Microsoft Outlook (including calendars), Microsoft Excel and Word, Monday.com, payroll systems, and any future programs as required;
- Strong commitment to economic, racial and environmental justice; and
- A deep commitment to the mission of the BlueGreen Alliance.
Additional Information: Salary range $75,000-$95,000; generous benefits package that includes fully paid family or individual medical and dental, disability plan, 401k with company contribution, generous vacation, wellness days, and ~18 holidays, and a friendly work environment. This is a union represented position, represented by USW Local 2002. This individual would be expected to work in the Minneapolis office 3-4 days/week.
How to Apply: Please submit a cover letter, resume, writing sample and three references to Jennifer Bakkom‐Gatzke (email@example.com). Please include your location, salary requirements, and where you saw the posting. Please include “Finance Director” in the subject line. Position open until filled.
Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
BlueGreen Alliance does not discriminate against individuals on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity, or veteran status in the administration of employment policies, or in any other programs and activities.