The BlueGreen Alliance (BGA) seeks qualified candidates for the position of Minnesota Field Organizer.
BGA is a national partnership of America’s largest labor unions and its most influential environmental organizations working to turn today’s biggest environmental challenges into our biggest economic and job-creating opportunities. Together with nearly 15 million members and supporters, we are a powerful, unified voice calling for good, family-sustaining jobs, a clean environment, and a thriving and fair American economy.
Job Summary: The Minnesota Field Organizer (MFO), based in the Twin Cities or Duluth areas, will work closely with the Minnesota Regional Program Manager (MN RPM) to design and implement an organizing plan that brings unions and environmental organizations together to advance key priorities in the state. The MFO will build engagement with BGA’s partner organizations to grow the breadth of supporters for these key priorities in the future through organizing, public events, and other activities. The MFO reports directly to the Organizing Director and is part of the Midwest field team.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Working closely with MN RPM, design and implement plan to build support among union members and environmentalists for key priorities to create and maintain quality jobs and reduce greenhouse gas emissions. The plan will set clear goals, objectives, and metrics to assess progress and will be updated this plan annually;
- Provide information for state-level partners, their members, and allies about BGA priorities on key issues, including energy efficiency, transportation, procurement, and workforce standards;
- Plan public events and meetings, media activities, and work with communications staff to draft educational materials to present BGA priorities;
- Educate local and state policymakers on BGA policies and priorities;
- Collaborate with other Midwest field staff to plan and implement organizing strategies;
- Work with Organizing Director to ensure reaching program deliverables; report on all field and organizing activities using foundation and internal systems, as required;
- Develop and maintain a list of supporters in the state of Minnesota; and
- Other duties as needed.
Skills & Qualifications:
- At least 5 years of experience in community, political, or policy organizing, with a background in issue campaigns is required; a familiarity with the political landscape in Minnesota is preferred;
- Experience working on issues related to climate change, energy, trade, and/or labor issues required; regulatory or legislative experience preferred;
- Strong analytic and strategic-thinking skills, with ability to create and implement organizing plans;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and a commitment to quality;
- Strong skills in developing mutually respectful, trusting, and effective internal and external relationships; exhibit positive and respectful manner with colleagues, partners, and allies;
- Self‐starting, highly motivated, detail oriented; has ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and takes an innovative approach to organizing;
- Ability to travel regularly within Minnesota; occasional out-of-state travel required;
- Use the various technology platforms utilized by BGA including IVDesk, Microsoft Outlook (including Outlook calendars), payroll systems, and any future programs as required; and
- A deep commitment to the mission of the BlueGreen Alliance.
Additional Information: This is a two-year position, with the possibility of extension. Salary commensurate with experience; generous benefits package that includes medical and dental, 401k with company match, generous vacation and holidays, and a friendly work environment.
How to Apply: Please submit a cover letter, resume, writing sample and three references to Jennifer Bakkom‐Gatzke (email@example.com). Please write “Minnesota Field Organizer” in the subject line. Position open until filled.
Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
BlueGreen Alliance does not discriminate against individuals on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual or affectional preference, marital status, gender identity, or veteran status in the administration of employment policies, or in any other programs and activities.