The BlueGreen Alliance (BGA) seeks qualified candidates for the position of Minnesota Policy Organizer based in Minneapolis, MN.
BGA was formed in 2006 by the United Steelworkers and the Sierra Club in recognition that the future of working people and the health of the environment are inextricably linked. Now, together with 13 of the nation’s largest labor unions and most influential environmental organizations, we are fighting to protect the planet and advance racial and economic justice. The labor unions and environmental organizations of the BlueGreen Alliance reject the false choice that we must choose between good jobs and a clean environment. BGA builds a shared agenda between the labor and environmental movements on bold measures critical to advancing a future American economy that addresses climate change, protects public health, advances racial and economic justice, and creates good-paying union jobs in safe and healthy workplaces in communities across America. BGA develops policy, produces research, builds coalitions, provides education, advocates these policies at the local, state and federal level, and mobilizes working people to take action.
Job Summary: The Minnesota Policy Organizer will spearhead BGA’s program and policy work in Minnesota. The organizer will develop, promote, and implement programs that educate and mobilize members to action; build long term alliances to promote clean and efficient energy solutions; and work with the union, environmental, and community partners to effectively support policies that build the clean energy economy in ways that reduce emissions, create quality, family-sustaining jobs, and promote shared sustainable prosperity. The MN BGA table of labor and environmental partners is an active, committed group with ambitious goals and strong member support. The Organizer’s role is to organize, focus, and drive its collective efforts. The Organizer will be joining BGA at an exciting time, building on recent successes and moving forward on numerous promising opportunities with the support of a powerful and diverse coalition. This individual will work closely with BGA staff, the state policy team, and the statewide steering committee to develop and execute initiatives, campaigns, and legislative strategies. The Organizer reports to the Midwest State Director.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Responsibilities include, but are not limited, to:
- Coordinate BGA’s state policy initiatives, in collaboration with BGA’s Midwest staff and the MN state steering committee;
- Coordinate MN BGA’s effort to build the clean economy in a way that creates good jobs and grows clean and fair manufacturing practices;
- Coordinate support for targeted efforts and investments in specific projects and programs that accelerate job growth and community economic development;
- Engage in state rulemaking processes on behalf of shared BGA positions;
- Execute MN state implementation of BGA national campaigns as needed;
- Coordinate efforts of the MN Steering Committee member organizations in the development and implementation of policy, program, and campaign initiatives;
- Make public presentations, including presenting testimony at legislative hearings;
- Collaborate with allied constituencies, for example, communities of color, highly impacted communities, and businesses, to advance clean economy growth in collaboration with our partners;
- Work with Midwest and national BGA staff to foster connectivity between MN clean energy and climate work and Midwest and national priorities;
- Work with BGA’s communications team and the communication staff of labor and environmental partners in Minnesota to develop and implement a state-based communications plan; and
- Other duties, as needed.
Skills & Qualifications:
- Two years of experience driving legislative and/or issue-based advocacy campaigns;
- Strong foundation in coordinating campaigns that involve multiple partners and stakeholders, including labor unions, environmental organizations, and supportive businesses;
- Experience in policy development, including analyzing legislation and other policy tools, legislative outreach, and effective messaging;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and strong orientation to building collaborative structures;
- Familiarity and previous experience working with labor unions and the environmental and environmental justice movements is preferred;
- Familiarity with clean energy, climate change policy, and other related issues preferred;
- Familiarity with the political landscape of Minnesota strongly preferred;
- Strong organizational skills and ability to work with colleagues in multiple locations;
- Ability to juggle multiple issues and campaigns;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including public speaking;
- An ability to travel within and to Twins Cities if not based there, with occasional travel throughout the state; and
- Strong commitment to economic, racial and environmental justice; and
- A deep commitment to the mission of the BlueGreen Alliance.
Additional Information: Salary range $60,000-$70,000; generous benefits package that includes fully paid family or individual medical and dental, disability plan, 401k with company contribution, generous vacation, wellness days, and ~18 holidays, and a friendly work environment. This is a union represented position, represented by USW Local 2002.
How to Apply: Please submit a cover letter, resume, writing sample and three references to Jennifer Bakkom‐Gatzke (email@example.com). Please write “MN Program Coordinator” in the subject line, and include salary requirements and where you saw the posting. Position will be reviewed on a rolling basis and will remain open until filled.
Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
BlueGreen Alliance does not discriminate against individuals on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity, or veteran status in the administration of employment policies, or in any other programs and activities.