The BlueGreen Alliance (BGA) seeks qualified candidates for the position of Communications Manager based in Washington, D.C.
BGA was formed in 2006 by the United Steelworkers and the Sierra Club in recognition that the future of working people and the health of the environment are inextricably linked. Now, together with 13 of the nation’s largest labor unions and environmental organizations, we are fighting to protect the planet and advance racial and economic justice. The labor unions and environmental organizations of the BlueGreen Alliance reject the false choice that we must choose between good jobs and a clean environment. BGA builds a shared agenda between the labor and environmental movements on bold measures critical to advancing a future American economy that addresses climate change, protects public health, advances racial and economic justice, and creates good-paying union jobs in safe and healthy workplaces in communities across America. BGA develops policy, produces research, builds coalitions, provides education, advocates these policies at the local, state and federal level, and mobilizes working people to take action.
Job Summary: The Communication Manager is responsible for coordinating and executing a comprehensive media relations strategy for BlueGreen Alliance issue initiatives. This includes working with the Director of Manufacturing, legislative and policy, and field departments to develop and implement a dynamic and aggressive earned and digital media campaigns. BGA is seeking an enthusiastic communications professional with a demonstrated track record of successful earned media efforts, positive relationships with members of the media covering the key issues of the organization, and a positive attitude and fresh perspective. The Communications Manager reports to the Communications Director.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop a comprehensive national media outreach plan for BGA’s campaigns, in concert with the Communications Director;
- Collaborate with the Director of Manufacturing, BGA’s federal legislative and policy team, and the field team to develop issue-specific, holistic media relations campaigns;
- Monitor developments regarding the campaigns to provide information to internal BGA staff and to find and pitch opportunities to elevate BGA’s voice;
- Work with the Press Secretary to field media calls and prepare staff for interviews;
- Work with the Digital Campaigns Manager to help inform digital strategies and set objectives;
- Collaborate with communications department staff to develop complementary communications strategies between campaigns and state and federal issues; and
- Other duties as required.
Skills and Qualifications:
- At least three to five years of experience in communications, public relations, journalism, or related profession;
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment, including experience working on issue or political campaigns is preferred, hill experience is a plus;
- General familiarity or previous experience working with labor unions and environmental organizations is preferred, along with a familiarity climate change, energy, infrastructure, and/or workers’ rights is required;
- Demonstrated track record of campaign and earned media success, including managing press events, pitching reporters, and the ability to find and seize opportunities to generate positive press for the organization;
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and strong time management and project management skills;
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, strong interpersonal skills, the ability to collaborate with other staff and partners, and a deep commitment to and enthusiasm for the work of BGA;
- A willingness to travel as needed;
- Strong commitment to economic, racial, and environmental justice; and
- A deep commitment to the mission of the BlueGreen Alliance, a positive attitude with creative thinking and problem solving skills desired.
Additional Information: Salary range $75,000 to $90,000; generous benefits package that includes medical and dental, 401k with company match, generous vacation and holidays, and a friendly work environment. This is a union represented position, represented by USW Local 2002.
How to Apply: Please submit a cover letter, resume, writing sample and three references to Jennifer Bakkom‐Gatzke (email@example.com). Please include your location, salary requirements, and where you saw the posting and “Communications Manager” in the subject line. Position open until filled.
Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
BlueGreen Alliance does not discriminate against individuals on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity, or veteran status in the administration of employment policies, or in any other programs and activities.