The BlueGreen Alliance (BGA) seeks qualified candidates for the position of Senior Policy Advisor, Labor preferably based in our Washington, D.C. office.
BGA was formed in 2006 by the United Steelworkers and the Sierra Club in recognition that the future of working people and the health of the environment are inextricably linked. Now, together with 13 of the nation’s largest labor unions and environmental organizations, we are fighting to protect the planet and advance racial and economic justice. The labor unions and environmental organizations of the BlueGreen Alliance reject the false choice that we must choose between good jobs and a clean environment. BGA builds a shared agenda between the labor and environmental movements on bold measures critical to advancing a future American economy that addresses climate change, protects public health, advances racial and economic justice, and creates good-paying union jobs in safe and healthy workplaces in communities across America. BGA develops policy, produces research, builds coalitions, provides education, advocates these policies at the local, state and federal level, and mobilizes working people to take action.
Job Summary: BGA seeks a dynamic professional to join our Washington, D.C. team as Senior Policy Advisor, Labor. This position will be responsible for designing, coordinating, and implementing legislative and policy efforts around core organizational issues, including workforce development, job quality, and labor standards. The Senior Policy Advisor will work in close coordination with BGA national staff and BGA partner organizations to develop and implement BGA’s policy and legislative agenda. The Senior Policy Advisor also works with the VP of State Affairs and state staff to assist states in developing and carrying out related policy priorities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead policy development and strategy efforts regarding labor and workforce development policy and related issues, including application of labor standards, like Davis Bacon, Project Labor Agreements, and Community Benefit Agreements, as well as application of Buy America(n);
- Manage relationships and execute policy development and strategy efforts across a spectrum of policymakers, coalitions, business and community groups;
- Advance BGA priorities with members of Congress and federal agencies, conducting education and outreach to key officials and regulators at the national level;
- Serve as an a technical resource for state staff on workforce policy as needed;
- Develop and review public messaging and materials, including policy platforms, policy language, letters, policy memos, technical comments, white papers, reports, presentations, press, online materials, and other materials as needed;
- Provide regular communications and updates on BGA initiatives to staff and partner organizations; and
- Other duties as required.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor degree or equivalent work experience required, with 5 to 7 years of prior work experience in policy, advocacy, labor or business;
- Experience/knowledge regarding labor policy and workforce development, experience with high road job creation policies, apprenticeships, pre-apprenticeships, labor management training programs, are a must; knowledge regarding economics, climate change, energy, infrastructure, and/or manufacturing is a plus;
- Experience working either directly for a Member of Congress, relevant federal agency or closely with legislative and/or executive branch offices;
- Self‐starting, highly motivated, positive attitude, able to manage multiple tasks simultaneously, and preference for working in a fast‐paced environment;
- Ability to assist in the planning, coordinating, and implementing of federal legislative strategies that involve mobilizing a diverse coalition of organizations;
- Experience developing policy proposals, writing persuasive educational materials, lobbying legislators and staff, and mobilizing key constituents;
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and orientation to building collaborative structures;
- Strong commitment to economic, racial, and environmental justice; and
- A deep commitment to the mission of the BlueGreen Alliance.
Additional Information: Salary range $85,000 to $100,000; generous benefits package that includes medical and dental, 401k with company match, generous vacation and holidays, and a friendly work environment. The D.C. staff will be working a hybrid work schedule. This is a union represented position, represented by USW Local 2002.
How to Apply: Please submit a cover letter, resume, writing sample and three references to Jennifer Bakkom‐Gatzke (email@example.com). Please include your location, salary requirements, and where you saw the posting and include “Labor Policy Advisor” in the subject line. Position open until filled.
Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
BlueGreen Alliance does not discriminate against individuals on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity, or veteran status in the administration of employment policies, or in any other programs and activities.