During the UN Climate Change Conference in Cancun, the BlueGreen Alliance will hold a labor-environmental reception on December 5 and a side event on our unique “blue-green” partnership at the World of Work (WoW) Pavilion on December 7.
Sunday, December 5, 7:00 – 9:00 p.m.
BlueGreen Alliance Labor-Environment Reception
La Perla Restaurant, The Gran Melia Hotel, Boulevard Kukulcan, Km 16.5, 77500, Cancun, Mexico
Join us for the annual labor-environment reception at COP 16 in Cancun. This event will bring together leaders from around the world to discuss how the labor and environmental movements can create good jobs, a clean environment and a green economy.
Tuesday, December 7 at 9:00 a.m.
Side Event: The Blue-Green Approach to an International Climate Agreement and U.S. Action on Climate Change and Clean Energy Jobs
WoW Pavilion, Universidad del Sur, Súper manzana 24, Manzana 15, Lote 10, Av. Uxmal, Cancún
The BlueGreen Alliance unites 13 million people through an innovative and strategic partnership between nine major U.S. labor unions and four of America’s most influential environmental groups. This partnership amplifies the voices of union members and environmentalists and promotes the shared agenda of an American clean energy economy. By working to ensure that measures to mitigate climate change in the United States benefit workers, the BlueGreen Alliance garners domestic political support for climate change policies, which in turn, benefits international efforts and commitments.
Merging labor and environmental interests allows the BlueGreen Alliance to take a unique role in framing all aspects of climate negotiations, including: measurement, reporting and verification; finance; technology; REDD; and capacity building.
Join us at the WoW Pavilion to hear more about this unique collaboration and to discuss the current state of efforts in the U.S. to address climate change and in international negotiations.
- Gerry Hudson, International Executive Vice President, Service Employees International Union (SEIU)
- Jake Schmidt, International Climate Policy Director, Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC)
- Stewart Acuff, Chief of Staff, Utility Workers Union of America (UWUA)
- Joe Mendelson, Director, Global Warming Policy, National Wildlife Federation (NWF)
- Andrea Delgado, Senior Policy Analyst, Labor Council for Latin American Advancement
- Ted Green, Special Assistant to the President, Laborers’ Intl. Union of North America (LIUNA)
- Yvette Pena Lopes, Director of Leg. and Intergovernmental Affairs, BlueGreen Alliance
Download the attached flyer for more information.