Job Posting: State Policy Director
The BlueGreen Alliance (BGA) seeks qualified candidates for the position of State Policy Director, based in our Minneapolis, Minnesota, or Washington, D.C. office.
BGA unites fourteen of America’s largest and most influential labor unions and environmental organizations to identify ways that today’s environmental challenges can create and maintain quality jobs and build a stronger, fairer economy.
The organization’s efforts center on the immediate need to develop commonsense solutions to our environmental challenges in a way that creates and maintains quality, family-sustaining jobs across the economy. Our staff and supporters design public policies, perform research, and run public education and advocacy campaigns to advocate for practical solutions; facilitate dialogue between environmentalists, union members and other stakeholders; and educate America’s labor union members and environmentalists about the economic and environmental impacts of climate change and the job-creating opportunities of environmental protections.
Job Summary: The State Policy Director is responsible for overseeing BGA’s state policy development aimed at building a clean economy with quality jobs, including working with state-based and program staff to identify legislative and policy opportunities, develop strategic policies to achieve organizational objectives, and to develop advocacy efforts around these policies on the state level. The State Policy Director also liaises between BGA staff and partners on the state level and in Washington, D.C. to coordinate BGA’s state policy objectives. The State Policy Director reports to the Executive Vice President, but works closely with BGA Senior Leadership to develop and execute these state objectives.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develops and oversees implementation of a multi-state plan to move state-level policies on climate change, clean energy, energy efficiency, workforce and labor standards, and more;
- Works with the Executive Vice President to build the State Policy team, collaborating with all team members, to develop state-specific plans, including identifying policy and legislative opportunities and development of policy initiatives and language;
- Provides policy expertise on a variety of issues for state-based staff, including providing training/education for on-the-ground coalition members and working with national BGA and partner staff;
- Becomes a content-matter specialist in the program areas, conducts policy analysis, and produces content, including talking points, testimony, blogs, policy position papers, and social media content;
- Works closely with D.C- and state-based staff to make connections between national, state-specific, and multi-state objectives;
- Identifies and seeks new program opportunities, including proposal development, meeting with potential funders, and grant reporting;
- Builds relationships with and serves as a liaison between national or D.C.-based partners and staff and state-level policy and organizing efforts, ensuring regular communications and updates on BGA initiatives among staff and partner organizations; and
- Other duties as required.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in public-policy related field required, Master’s degree preferred;
- Seven to 10 years experience in policy development and engagement, including identifying and drafting policy, engaging stakeholders, and building coalitions for moving state-level policies;
- Policy expertise in climate change, clean energy, energy efficiency, manufacturing and/or workforce issues required, as well as a background in state-level policy development;
- Familiarity and/or previous experience working with labor unions and/or the environmental movement preferred;
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal skills with a self-starting attitude and a strong orientation to building collaborative structures;
- Ability to navigate complex organizations and build strong coalitions around policy development and advocacy;
- Handle multiple tasks simultaneously and work in a fast-paced environment;
- Location in Minneapolis, Minnesota, or Washington, D.C. preferred;
- Ability to travel to multiple states and Washington, D.C.; and
- A deep commitment to and enthusiasm for the mission of the BlueGreen Alliance.
Additional Information: Salary range commensurate with experience, generous benefits package that includes medical and dental, 401k with company match, generous vacation and holidays, and a friendly work environment.
How to Apply: Please submit a cover letter, resume, and three references to Jennifer Bakkom‐Gatzke (email@example.com). Please write “State Policy Director” in the subject line. Position open until filled.
Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
BlueGreen Alliance does not discriminate against individuals on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual or affectional preference, marital status, gender identity, or veteran status in the administration of employment policies, or in any other programs and activities.