The BlueGreen Alliance (BGA) seeks qualified candidates for the position of Policy Advisor in our Vehicles and Advanced Transportation Program.
BGA is a national partnership of America’s largest labor unions and most influential environmental organizations working to turn today’s environmental challenges into economic prosperity and job-creation. Together with 15 million members and supporters, we are a powerful, unified voice calling for good, family-sustaining jobs, a clean environment, and a thriving and fair American economy.
Job Summary: BGA is seeking a dynamic individual to join our team as Policy Advisor. This position works with the program director to develop and implement BGA’s policy and legislative agenda on clean and advanced vehicles and transportation, and related manufacturing, labor and technology policy priorities. The Policy Advisor will work in close coordination with BGA staff and partner organizations, participate actively in policy forums and coalitions, and enhance the effectiveness and reach of the program’s innovative and influential materials, events, and outreach. The position will report to the Director of the Vehicles and Advanced Transportation Program and work in the Washington, D.C. office.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Responsibilities include, but are not limited, to the following:
- Support and help develop policy and advocacy efforts on vehicle fuel economy and greenhouse gas standards; advanced and emerging vehicle technology investment, manufacturing and jobs; transportation infrastructure; and innovative mobility;
- Help convene and staff ad hoc and formal discussions on transportation-related manufacturing, labor, environmental, and technology policy amongst BGA’s labor union and environmental partner groups, and other stakeholders;
- Develop relationships and help execute policy development and advocacy efforts across a spectrum of policymakers, coalitions, business and community groups;
- Work with BGA legislative and policy staff to advance BGA priorities with Congress and the Administration, and to conduct education and outreach to key officials and regulators at the national and state level;
- Work with program, research, and communications staff to develop, write, and review public messaging and materials, including white papers, reports, presentations, press, online, and social media materials;
- Work with program director and BGA and external research staff to develop new data, tools and approaches for program advocacy.
- Help ensure regular communications and updates on BGA initiatives among staff and partner organizations; and
- Other duties as required.
Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree or comparable required; Master’s Degree preferred, with two or more years of prior work experience in policy, advocacy, labor or business. Experience/knowledge regarding the automotive sector, energy, climate change, technology, economics and/or labor issues is a plus. Also preferred:
- Experience working on Capitol Hill or federal agencies or closely with legislative and/or executive branch offices
- Experience in planning, coordinating, or implementing policy and legislative activities, that involve working with and mobilizing a diverse coalition of organizations
- Self‐starting, highly motivated, positive attitude, able to manage multiple tasks simultaneously; preference for working in a fluid and fast‐paced environment, and with an innovative team
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills, and experience writing clear and persuasive materials;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and orientation to building collaborative structures;
- Willingness and ability to live in the D.C. area and travel periodically; and
- A deep commitment to the mission of the BlueGreen Alliance.
Additional Information: Salary range is $55,000 to $65,000 annually, commensurate with experience; generous benefits package that includes medical and dental, 401k with company match, generous vacation and holidays, and a friendly work environment.
How to Apply: Please submit a cover letter, resume, writing sample and three references to Jennifer Bakkom‐Gatzke (email@example.com). Please write “Policy Advisor – Vehicles ” in the subject line. Position is open until filled.
Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
BlueGreen Alliance does not discriminate against individuals on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual or affectional preference, marital status, gender identity, or veteran status in the administration of employment policies, or in any other programs and activities.