January 2021 Poll: Broad Support in Midwest for Biden Administration, Congress to Retool and Rebuild American Manufacturing
January 19, 2021
New polling released today by the BlueGreen Alliance showed voters in the Midwest vigorously support making rebuilding and retooling the American manufacturing sector a critical component of recovery efforts by Congress or the Biden administration. Hart Research conducted the poll of 1,500 registered voters in Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin from November 17-23, which showed that among voters in the Industrial Midwest:
- 86% said it is important (71% very important) to rebuild and retool American manufacturing to make the products we need here at home, including modernizing our factories to produce less pollution and investing in clean technologies;
- 83% said it is important (64% very important) that we modernize American manufacturing so that we are producing more goods—like cars, steel, and electronics—in an environmentally friendly way; and
- 73% said the president and Congress should make it a top or high priority to pass a plan that includes elements of the BlueGreen Alliance’s manufacturing agenda.
The poll also found that voters overwhelmingly support the individual elements of the BlueGreen Alliance’s manufacturing agenda, including:
- 95% said they were favorable or somewhat favorable toward making sure investments in manufacturing create good-paying jobs with good benefits, and ensure health and safety for workers and communities;
- 84% said they were favorable or somewhat favorable toward modernizing American industries, such as steel, aluminum, and glass, to manufacture these critical products in a way that produces less pollution; and
- 83% were favorable or somewhat favorable toward retooling American factories to produce the cutting-edge products of the future, like clean vehicles and energy technologies.