Top 8 BGA Priorities in the Inflation Reduction Act of 2022
The Inflation Reduction Act of 2022 is a robust package to revitalize U.S. manufacturing and grow clean energy around the country, invest in economic and racial justice programs, and support and create the good-paying, union jobs we need to give all workers the opportunity for a middle-class life.
August 3, 2022
The Inflation Reduction Act will:
- Create or sustain millions of good jobs;
- Tackle climate change by reducing emissions by 31-44% by 2030;
- Create and sustain good-paying, union jobs, while reducing pollution in manufacturing to support cleaner air and more competitive industries;
- Allow us to build our own supply chains for vital technologies;
- Grow U.S. clean energy efforts in a way that creates good, union jobs around the country by tying the investments we make to proven standards that lift up job quality and domestic manufacturing; and
- Invest in workers and communities that are struggling, to create good jobs that are available to those that need them the most, including workers living in communities that have been hit hard by the transition to cleaner, cheaper energy and manufacturing job outsourcing.
The more than 100 climate, energy, and environmental justice investments included in the bill will create millions of good jobs. This includes:
- The investments in just two programs that will prepare facilities for electric vehicle (EV) manufacturing would create more than 7,000 good jobs each year to retrofit those facilities. Those programs are the Advanced Technology Vehicle Manufacturing program and Domestic Manufacturing Conversion Grants. They would also create or sustain hundreds of thousands of long-term jobs at thousands of factories established, expanded, or retooled with federal support and more throughout the economy.
- Expanded tax credits to support manufacturing of clean energy technologies—from solar to wind to batteries—would support the creation of more than 67,000 good jobs each year.
- A new program to invest in pollution-reducing upgrades at steel, aluminum, cement, and other emissions-intensive manufacturing facilities would create nearly 12,000 good jobs each year.
- The nearly $3 billion dollars to update and modernize our transmission infrastructure would create nearly 4,000 jobs each year.
The Inflation Reduction Act will do more than tackle inflation. It will be a game-changer in growing clean energy, revitalizing manufacturing, and building resilient communities.