Senior Communications Associate
The BlueGreen Alliance (BGA) seeks qualified candidates for the position of Senior Communications Associate. BGA is a national partnership of America’s largest labor unions and most influential environmental organizations working to turn today’s biggest environmental challenges into our biggest economic and job-creating opportunities.The BlueGreen Alliance (BGA) seeks qualified candidates for the position of Senior Communications Associate. BGA is a national partnership of America’s largest labor unions and most influential environmental organizations working to turn today’s biggest environmental challenges into our biggest economic and job-creating opportunities.
Together with 15 million members and supporters, we are a powerful, unified voice calling for good, family-sustaining jobs, a clean environment and a thriving and fair American economy.
Job Summary: The Senior Communications Associate—based in Washington, D.C.—will be supervised by the Executive Vice President and work closely with communications leadership to develop and execute communications strategies around national or federal policies and legislative priorities. The SCA will work closely with BGA’s legislative and policy department to develop and implement dynamic and aggressive earned and digital media campaigns around key priorities, including climate change, safe chemicals, clean infrastructure, and international trade. BGA is seeking an enthusiastic communications professional with a positive attitude and fresh perspective.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- SCA is responsible for implementing communications plans for national and/or federal policy and legislative priorities. Working with the Executive Vice President and communications leadership, the SCA will develop and execute dynamic communications activities consistent with organizational goals on key issues.
- CA will monitor developments regarding key priorities and legislation, generate and develop earned and digital media strategies to promote BGA’s voice, and develop content for BGA’s communications channels in pursuit of those objectives.
- SCA will field all national and/or federal media inquiries, conduct media outreach, maintain current press lists, plan media events and press calls, and work with national partners to identify and plan media opportunities.
- SCA will develop and execute digital strategies related to national and/or federal issues, working to increase audience and engagement by capitalizing on strategic national or federal events and opportunities consistent with organizational priorities.
- SCA will work collaboratively with communications leadership to develop complementary communications strategies between state and federal issues.
- Other duties as required.
Skills & Qualifications:
- Candidate should have at least four years of experience in communications, public relations, journalism, or related profession.
- Ideal candidate is prepared for or has experience working in a fast‐paced environment, including experience working on issue or political campaigns.
- General familiarity or previous experience working with labor unions and environmental organizations is preferred, along with a familiarity climate change, energy, infrastructure, trade, and/or workers’ rights.
- Candidate should have a demonstrated track record of building relationships with reporters.
- Candidate must possess the ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and strong time management and project management skills.
- Candidate must bring to the position excellent written and verbal communications skills, strong interpersonal skills, the ability to collaborate with other staff and partners, and a deep commitment to and enthusiasm for the work of BGA.
Additional Information: Commensurate with experience, salary range is $65,000-$75,000 annually; generous benefits package that includes medical, dental, 401k with company match, generous vacation and holidays, and a friendly work environment. Periodic travel is required.
How to Apply: Submit cover letter, resume, writing sample, and three references to Jennifer Bakkom-Gatzke (email@example.com). Please write “Senior Communications Associate” in the subject line. Posting open until position is filled.
Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply. BlueGreen Alliance does not discriminate against individuals on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual or affectional preference, marital status, gender identity, or veteran status in the administration of employment policies, or in any other programs and activities.