The BlueGreen Alliance recently submitted comments to the U.S. Bureau of Ocean Energy Management regarding the Renewable Energy Modernization Rule. The comments state:
“As our nation’s largest untapped clean energy resource, offshore wind energy will play a major role in achieving our nation’s climate goals. And, a nascent U.S. industry, this is a pivotal moment in ensuring that offshore wind plays a major role in achieving our nation’s equity, innovation, economic, and national security goals as well. The Renewable Energy Modernization Rule can set this industry on a path where offshore wind projects:
- Maximize the creation of quality, high-paying, union jobs over projects lifetime;
- Expand domestic manufacturing along robust domestic, regional, and local supply chains;
- Deliver community benefits with attention to improving access to disadvantaged communities;
- Protect fisheries, wildlife, and marine ecosystems by utilizing data sharing, the best available science and data, and adaptive management strategies to avoid, minimize, mitigate, and monitor environmental impacts; and
- Are guided by robust and inclusive stakeholder engagement, including labor organizations, historically underrepresented or disadvantaged communities, low-wealth communities, communities of color, impacted ocean users, and government-to-government consultation with Tribal nations.”
Read the full comments below.